Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 12/28/2013 6:13:34 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/28/2013 6:51:05 PM
I have a 2 year old yellow lab I have hunted with her she will retrieve with no problem as long as you are not shooting around her.what can I do to break her from this?

jeremy powell
Post #775265
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 12/28/2013 7:29:21 PM

Last Login: 4 hours ago
in an abridged version.

start shooting at 100 yards.  make a retrieve.  keep getting closer with the shots with each retrieve.  eventually she will equate shooting with retrieving with the shooting and ignore it. it may take some time. don't rush it.  if she gets shy at some point, back off and work her at further distances until you can get closer.  it won't happen overnight. patience is a virtue that a trainer must have.

good luck, you'll get her trained.

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

Phil Robertson calls me for advice.
Post #775266
 Posted 12/29/2013 1:03:29 PM

Last Login: 1/14/2014 8:24:50 PM
Where are you at JP?

I have a 4 year old Goldador the acted the same way, until recently. She used to run about 25 yds away and sit there starring at me like "what the hell ya trying to do dad?"

The last 2 times we went out to try out a couple of new shotguns, she stayed by my side. While there wasn't anything to retrieve at least she wasn't marking fire trails outta there! She will go after anything I throw (training birds, dummy's and of course that ball of any kind or size). She's great at healing and waiting for the release, returning and handing the "catch" off to me, she's also great at catching cripples. Unfortunaetly, there's not much to shoot around here for her to go after so it's very difficult to advance her skills in a practical situation. I would wonder if it would be beneficial to work her with another working dog and seeing if together they would respond.

Edited: 12/29/2013 1:04:31 PM by Flyswatter
Post #775273
 Posted 12/30/2013 6:56:13 PM

Last Login: 1/11/2014 9:46:30 AM
You might try a D.T Launcher. It uses 22 blanks to launch the training dummy. I would let her get a little bit away from me before I launched the first dummy. Hardware store sells the blanks for hilti guns. Get some #2s for the first shot as the dummy will only launch about 30 yards and it is not as loud, if she will handle this go to the higher loads. Later in training, have friend shoot shotgun at a distance, while you use the launcher. Have him work in closer. Also the post on using another dog that is not gun shy will help is correct.
Post #775281