Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Dove hunting with a dog in nc

Posted 6/3/2013 6:06:25 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/11/2013 8:29:45 AM
My dad and I recently purchased a house in nc for hunting I would love to dove hunt with my lab this year but don't know how to protect her from the snakes on the area I hear they are bad 
I currently hunt in south jersey had never given it much though but the local guys told us to buy snake boots witch got me thinking about the pup 
Any advice would be great 
Post #772872
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 6/4/2013 4:11:36 PM

Last Login: 1/17/2014 9:17:51 AM
I know they have snake avoidance classes for the dog.  I don't know how well they work or what the cost is.  I don't live in venemous snake country so I know very little concerning them.  Good Luck and have fun!
Post #772891
 Posted 6/5/2013 8:13:06 PM

Last Login: 12 hours ago
I live in NC and depending on where you are hunting, we are not over run with snakes. We do have a share, but if you are hunting  a field in September you should be ok. You always have to use caution when in the fields that time of year. Probably the biggest danger that time of year in and around water are gators if you are on the coast. 
Post #772911
 Posted 6/6/2013 6:15:37 AM

Last Login: 11/14/2014 7:41:08 AM
I live in NC, and my wife is from southern New Jersey, so our hunting grounds must be the same. I had the same issues with my dog, and my worries about him being bitten were pretty strong. Have you looked into what to do if he is bitten? We received a prescription from our vet for the generic "benydryl" that needs to be injected if he is bitten by a snake. Every time we train or hunt, I carry the needle and bottles in his first aid kit, just in case. As for avoidance, avoid the high stuff, and dumb as this might sound, you can teach the dog to leave them alone, and not start investigating them.
Post #772913
 Posted 6/6/2013 1:43:08 PM

Last Login: 6/7/2013 7:49:13 AM
I dove hunt in eastern NC and use a retriever when possible.  In the past nine years of running a dog, I have never run into a problem with snakes in the Sept season.  I do not send my dog into every situation through.  If it is an area that I am worried about I will sit the dog and try to retrieve the bird myself.  My greater concern when dove hunting in Sept is the heat.  Therefore, I will only take my dog on a morning hunt, an overcast day or if I am hunting near water.  If there is any question, she stays home.

Enjoy the area, the dove hunting can at times be terrific.

Skeeter
Post #772920
 Posted 6/7/2013 5:30:28 AM

Last Login: 11/14/2014 7:41:08 AM
Skeeter-
Your techniques are spot on. I wish more people thought that way. Given that in warmer weather, there are gators to worry about, your philosophy should be adopted by more. I'm not risking my dog for a bird.
Post #772930
 Posted 6/7/2013 2:36:08 PM

Last Login: 10/11/2013 8:29:45 AM
thanks for all the responses
I would never purposely but her in harms way or take her out when its to hot  i was just wondering how people down there deal with it
The house is just south of  Albemarle Sound in a town called roper if that helps anyone
we will be hunting the field behind the house

john and roxie thank you
Post #772935
 Posted 8/6/2013 1:21:58 PM

Last Login: 8/7/2013 1:38:57 PM
I live and hunt in Southeastern Texas, so we have our share of snakes.  I recently put my dog through a snake avoidance class ($60) and I'd say it's worth it.  It isn't a pleasant experience, but is definitely valuable to teach them that nothing good happens when they try to get curious about a snake.  It's something that the trainer suggested to "refresh" annually, but when i take him next year, if he sees or smells the snake and backs off, there's no need to put him through it again, as he clearly still remembers.
Post #773378