Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Dog uninterested in 1 type of bumper

Posted 5/18/2013 1:36:54 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/22/2013 7:49:01 AM
My dog is pretty well trained in retreiving, but he has a complete uninterest in the Avery teal dummy. It's to the point he wontt even try to retrieve it, but he'll fetch every thing else I throw, including doubles, and it doesn't matter if it's on land or water. 

So far I have added that dummy into his force fetch training regiment (hes fully trained, it's just for re-enforcement) and even added scent to the equation, but yet he could care less about that particular dummy.

Just for knowledge, I use several things for force fetch. Paint roller, square buck, heavy cylinder buck, canvas dummy, and plastic bumper.

So, any suggestions that might help to this, or should I just give up that dummy?
Post #772770
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 5/19/2013 5:59:59 PM

Last Login: 11/24/2014 2:55:16 PM
From what I hear you are definetly doing things write, I have never had a dog be totally uninterested in something, especially after it has been force fetched. 

What I would do is put the dog back on the force fetch table, if the the dog will fetch it on the table have him do that, if not just place the dummy in it's mouth, and just leave it there, for a very long time. Have it hold the dummy for 5 minutes or so at a time while you do other stuff, and don't let him drop it. After this, get the dog off the table and just go for a walk with the dummy in it's mouth, again, not letting him drop the dummy. Then go to force fetching with the dummy and see if things have changed.

Don't freak out if he isn't pikcing it up, that will just scare him of the dummy and training in general. Just go back in traiing like I suggested and go from there.

Make 'em dead!
Post #772773
 Posted 5/19/2013 6:32:26 PM

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:14:33 PM
Coyote (5/18/2013)
My dog is pretty well trained in retreiving, but he has a complete uninterest in the Avery teal dummy. It's to the point he wontt even try to retrieve it, but he'll fetch every thing else I throw, including doubles, and it doesn't matter if it's on land or water. 

So far I have added that dummy into his force fetch training regiment (hes fully trained, it's just for re-enforcement) and even added scent to the equation, but yet he could care less about that particular dummy.

Just for knowledge, I use several things for force fetch. Paint roller, square buck, heavy cylinder buck, canvas dummy, and plastic bumper.

So, any suggestions that might help to this, or should I just give up that dummy?

There's a few things here to discuss. First, if the dog was truly done with FF it would pick up anything you wanted. Especially after you gave a FETCH and ear pinched him to the dummy. You can head back to FF and go from HOLD thru walking fetch and then see if the problem is corrected.

Second, I'm not a big fan of those fake duckies. So if the dog hammers everything you throw for him, you can forget about the fake duck and train with bumpers and real ducks. Only issue is you may leave a hole in your training as described above.

Third, what program are you following? And how long have you been FFing the dog?
Post #772776