Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Posted 3/20/2013 7:35:41 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/30/2013 10:22:11 PM
I've been hunting pheasant and duck now for years with friends who have great hunting dogs. I finally decided to get myself one. I purchased a pure breed golden retriever pup. I purchased books gear and everything that was recommend. The moment I got her home I started basics. She has been so impressive she learns quick and listens very well this dog to this day only went potty(Pee) in my house a few times has never dropped a deuce ever in the house :). She is now 5 months old she flushes amazing and has a crazy good nose for birds. But just as of late she has quit retrieving! She will find dummies in the deepest of woods and grass but rather then bringing them back she decides to just lay right on top the dummies. This worries me! I've tried just going back to pre school stuff but she just seems uninterested in bringing anything back! Not exactly living up to her name. Can anyone give me some advice or has anyone else had this problem? Anything would help. Thanks.
Post #772352
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 3/21/2013 7:51:20 AM

Last Login: 5 hours ago
There are several reasons this may be occuring but the top two that I can think of are;

1) Teething. At 5mos. old your pup is getting new teeth and her mouth may be very sore. Teething effects every pup differently. Some it will bother horribly and others hardly notice.

2) Over work. At 5mos. your girl is just a pup and may be getting bored with too many retrieves. Lay off for a few days then throw a very limited amount of retrieves. Also, don't be too strict at this point about getting a perfect retrieve. let her have some fun. You should be able to easily correct any little quirks she aquires after formal obedience and force fetch. 
Post #772358
 Posted 3/21/2013 11:07:48 AM

Last Login: 5 hours ago
the teething issue is very real possibility. 

retrievers are exactly that. they don't just lose their interest in retrieving. that's what they do. but having said that, they need to be trained to retrieve to our specifications.  that includes, first and foremost:

obedience training and subsequently, and in conjunction with......force fetch.

force fetch has many ways to be accomplished.  educate yourself and decide which program you feel most comfortable with.

another more important aspect of dog training is trainer training.  first and foremost of that is the trainers expectations.

your golden is 5 months old.  that is pure 100% puppy, and will remain that way for at least another year.  obedience at this point is much more critical than the "field training".  the field training must be introduced as fun.  when they begin to respond through obedience to the fun, they are ready to be trained at a more serious level at higher expectations.

i have a 15 month old golden.  goldens train with unbelievable ease.  right from potty training to duck retrieving.

as you go through obedience and training, keep it fun and understand that your dream dog won't be sitting next to you at the sound of opening bell of the first season.  maintain expectations that are reasonable for a wonderful companion  that will, over many years, share your passion and fill your head with some great memories and stories you will be proud to "brag" about for the rest your life.

have fun and good luck.

goldens are an awesome duck blind partner!!

swamper

"Cripples are our worst legacy. Hunt with a Retriever."

"Phil Robertson calls me for advice." :)
Post #772363
 Posted 3/21/2013 4:29:42 PM

Last Login: 4/30/2013 10:22:11 PM
I'm very thankful for the replies and thoughts. I am truly looking forward to having my golden as my duck blind partner. Thanks again for the advice :)

Edited: 3/21/2013 4:30:26 PM by Blinkangels
Post #772365
 Posted 4/17/2013 11:29:25 PM

Last Login: 15 hours ago
Hey, I had the same issue my GSP puppy. Great retriever till she was about 4 or 5 months, then stopped.  I'm new to gun dog training and I think I made two big mistakes.. First being I started to do fetch in the woods, when the woods were still new to her.  She was more concerned about scents and the big world.  The second issue I had was too much fetching.  I corrected the issue by letting her play in the woods for a while and only did fetch in my house with her favorite toys.  I also cut back how often I play fetch to 2 or 3 days tops.  When I finally started to fetch in the woods I would throw the bumper a few feet from her. When she picked it up I ran clapping my hands yelling fetch. She would follow me and truly enjoyed this game.  Now I end every fetch session with this drill.  She is 6 months now and is a great retriever, I just got her to make water retrieves and she can do blind retrieves on land, just not consistently yet.  Good luck!
Post #772598