Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Red Dots and Holographic Sights for Duck Hunting?

Posted 12/27/2011 12:38:55 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/26/2013 2:47:46 PM
I went ahead and ordered a Holographic sight for my shotgun without really getting alot of input from other hunters who have used them.  I am waiting on it to get here in the mail and was just wondering if anyone on here has in the past or still are using one of these sights and which way they prefer.  I couldn't pass up the deal I got on it so even if it's not something I wanna use forever on my shotty I can always put it on my AR-15.   

Tags:
Post #765143
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 1/4/2012 2:08:02 PM

Last Login: 55 minutes ago
I would have that thing tore off my gun inside a week.
Post #765480
 Posted 1/4/2012 6:18:32 PM

Last Login: 3/2/2014 7:49:29 PM
Hi Tex.  Not that I'm claiming to be a pro, but I can give ya my take.
 I have a "Holo" that I use on my Turkey gun.  I thought about possibly getting one for my Waterfowl gun, since I like it for Turkey.  They do make target acquisition fast, and even if the gun isn't properly shouldered, you put the dot on it, bang, dead.
I ended up not doing it on my Waterfowl gun because of the limitations I felt I would have using it.  On my holo I have 5 different crosshair/pin dot options, as well as 5 different light power levels, and choice of red or green dot colors.  Even on my lowest power level with only using the dot, ducks are just not that big a target unless they are within 20yards.  And even though Target shooters use them on targets as small as plates, they are not shooting high speed crossing shots, and weaving ducks as we encounter in the field.  I prefer my open viewing with both eyes open while I'm acquiring my target and then transitioning to my next target after first has been engaged.  A sight or scope frame of any kind would hinder my view for that, again, especially with high speed, small targets.  Some folks probably do this without issue.  I am not one of them.  I also find it easier to pass through my target when I'm judging lead to fire when I'm hunting Waterfowl, or Upland Birds with my bead sight.
For Turkey hunting, you are working with bigger targets, that are not moving nearly as fast, and in most cases they are coming in slow around the decoys and you take your time in shooting.   In these cases I feel the holo enhances my shooting ability, especially if shooting offhand, or not properly shouldered.  Take from it what you will, but that's my input.

Troy

Post #765493
 Posted 1/4/2012 6:40:51 PM

Last Login: 6/8/2013 10:27:36 PM
I've shot a shotgun with a red dot on it and I wasn't overly impressed.  But that had more to do with not being used to it and having no prior experience skeet shooting with one.  That being said when the dot was on it hit what it was pointed at.  If you put it on your shotgun and practice with it and spend enough time with it and you shoot with both eyes open I think you might like it, but seeing as how you have already ordered it, might as well give it a chance and see how it goes.
Post #765494
 Posted 1/4/2012 7:33:42 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:49:33 PM
Sounds like you watched too much Flyway Highway! Waterfowlers have been killing ducks without them just fine for centuries....not sure why anyone would blow money on them.

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #765496
 Posted 1/4/2012 7:46:02 PM

Last Login: 9/7/2012 2:52:55 PM
flannel (1/4/2012)
Sounds like you watched too much Flyway Highway! Waterfowlers have been killing ducks without them just fine for centuries....not sure why anyone would blow money on them.

I agree, I am surprised though I havent heard anyone ask this question about the "Burris Speed Bead". I use both eyes when I shoot, It would seem a bit cumbersome for me.  Let us know how you make out 

Save the Ta Ta's
"Remember-The guy who shows up, is the guy who wins".............Redhead
Arm the Homeless
"I am out of smoke, napalm and .22 bullets"-----Uncle Si, Beaver hunting
Post #765501
 Posted 1/4/2012 8:32:48 PM

flannel (1/4/2012)

Not trying to bust chops, but really there is not much difference than buying fully flocked decoys, mojo's, high end modern calls, brand name layout blinds, and 1500+fps shot out of a 3 1/2" auto.  Since ol' timers were able to do it with side by side doubles firing paper cartridges with nothing more than a sheet covering them as they laid down in a field.  Or using blocks of dark painted, barely duck looking decoys,  and calls that squeak more than quack. 

Birds have been taken with a lot less technology over the years, but the sport is evolving.  Not just it optics, but ALL aspects I feel.

So I can see why someone would "blow" money on them.  I did for my Turkey gun, but I also spend money on all the other goodies too.

Troy

Post #765506
 Posted 1/4/2012 9:27:22 PM

Trackmyer (1/4/2012)
flannel (1/4/2012)

Not trying to bust chops, but really there is not much difference than buying fully flocked decoys, mojo's, high end modern calls, brand name layout blinds, and 1500+fps shot out of a 3 1/2" auto.  Since ol' timers were able to do it with side by side doubles firing paper cartridges with nothing more than a sheet covering them as they laid down in a field.  Or using blocks of dark painted, barely duck looking decoys,  and calls that squeak more than quack. 

Birds have been taken with a lot less technology over the years, but the sport is evolving.  Not just it optics, but ALL aspects I feel.

So I can see why someone would "blow" money on them.  I did for my Turkey gun, but I also spend money on all the other goodies too.

I guess that's where we're different-I use cheap GHG dekes, no mojos (illegal here anyway), wooden calls, hunker down in the cattails and shoot 2 3/4" #4 steel and kill @ 100 birds/year with my low-tech methodolgies. To me, it's the skill of the hunter not the wannabe who buys all the overhyped marketing B.S. who should be considered "evolved." Just my viewpoint and nothing personal. I also enjoy turkey hunting but only carry an old wooden box call and a shotgun with a factory bead. As they say, "Different Strokes...."

-Phil Robertson

Edited: 1/4/2012 9:47:33 PM by flannel
Post #765512
 Posted 1/4/2012 10:14:47 PM

[/quote]

I guess that's where we're different-I use cheap GHG dekes, no mojos (illegal here anyway), wooden calls, hunker down in the cattails and shoot 2 3/4" #4 steel and kill @ 100 birds/year will my low-tech methodolgies. To me, it's the skill of the hunter not the sucker who buys all the overhyped marketing B.S. Just my viewpoint, nothing personal. Cheers.[/quote]

no offense taken.  I agree that there is a ton of cheap marketing garbage out there.  The Ozone Eliminator comes to mind for Deer hunting.  But I also think that a lot of new products are pretty good.  Holographic sights were brought into the military a while back, and work very well in its application.  Then they found there use in the civilian market.  Where they are starting to trickle their way into all aspects of hunting.   I do appreciate nostalgia that's why I still have a Black Powder rifle.  For the whole, if you can't do it in 1 shot, don't do it.  But given the choice between hunting in my old barn clothes, to hunting in modern warm Max 4 camo clothes, I have no issue with technology.

I have bigger issues with so called "Hunting Accidents" where people shoot other people or their dog because they didn't properly identify their target before touching one off.  Those people are the fools.  The people who just hunt because they want to shoot and kill something are fools.  People that hunt, the people that put in the time stalking and studying their prey, the ones who will endure hardship in the name of fun, I do not begrudge them for liking themselves a little modern comforts be it warm clothes or a new fangled sight.  I just wish we had more hunters that knew how to hunt, and not so many ya-hoo's that were able to buy high end gear, a license, and pay a guide so they can go out and kill something and call themselves hunters.

Troy

Post #765515
 Posted 1/4/2012 10:28:09 PM

I couldn't agree more-and you got me on the modern clothing! I wouldn't give up my columbia parka or my cabelas waders, happy hunting!

-Phil Robertson
Post #765518