Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

More than one person Calling

Posted 12/19/2011 3:50:08 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/30/2013 1:07:54 PM
Anyone have insight into this? Does it work better than one person calling? Been getting mild success calling alone, but not sure if throwing in another person calling would improve chances?  Any help would be appreciated...  Obvisouly both callers need to be proficient, but not sure if there's a theory out there that might say one way is better than the other...
Post #764894
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 12/19/2011 6:02:59 PM

Last Login: 3/24/2012 9:13:16 PM
Ive heard several different theories on this but some of the main points include. 1. if you have 12 dekes out there is no reason to sound like 12 dozen ducks and geese cant count but they also arent that dumb. 2. all the callers should do different calls and vary pitch and sound, if you dont use the same call or call in a different way birds work better. Like never have both guys feeding chuckle at the same time on  the same call one should chuckle one should contented quack. Same with geese.  3. Sometimes no calling is best. if you have good dekes and some motion you may not need to call. This weekend we had a honker hunt with residents who were call shy a little flagging and no calling put birds in our bags. Same holds true for ducks who have been holding up for some time. Hope this helps
Post #764898
 Posted 12/24/2011 1:18:44 PM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:41:49 PM
The majority of the time, I would say more callers helps.  It makes it not only more realistic, but if the birds like a particular call or caller, they can respond to it in particular.  Sometimes the birds won't really be responding or committing, and I will pick up a different call, or just let my buddy call (or vice versa) and it's like flipping a switch.

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
Google Earth Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"
Post #765076
 Posted 12/26/2011 8:40:41 PM

Last Login: 12/26/2013 7:09:26 PM
These guys hit it pretty good. I hunt sometimes where we have up to four callers. We are all used to each other's style of calling and we feed off each other. Like said above if you don't have 12 dozen decoys out, you don't have to sound like 12 dozen geese. Something that you should work on should be using different pitches or cadences. Go from high to low, or low to high. Sound like two different geese (or ducks). Big thing is get used to your friend's style(s) of calling and fill in after them. Hope this helps!!
Ben

Ben Perez
Burlington, NC
Avery Youth Field Staff
Lodge Creek Calls Pro Staff
Post #765122
 Posted 12/27/2011 5:09:20 PM

Last Login: 6/16/2014 7:58:43 PM
I try and let one person become the lead caller, than feed off of that person.  When Im goose hunting with the group I hunt with, I dont call the shots nor am I the lead caller.  I try and though in so clucks and moans.  May be a loan honk.  Duck hunting Im mainly the lead and mostly the only callers.

Critter Gettem with one shot
Post #765153
 Posted 5/24/2012 1:59:23 PM

Last Login: 8/5/2012 7:29:30 PM
Same here with everyone else. I'm a master caller (placed top three on several game fair competitions, been doing it since 12). Depending on who's next to me and how good they can call, I will let them do simple quacks or feeding calls while I let out other calls. Like others said too, its a heck out a lot better to have different kinds of calls. I never understood why these pro hunters have 7 mallards calls unti I realized that each one has its purpose for the ducks on pitch and raspyness. Another good trick up the sleeve is early in the morning, that six in one call with the male mallards dreeek. Seldomly use that one but it helps with one female caller and a couple of those. You will have to try and learn from your mistakes. Its all about reading ducks, and everyone can agree it takes several seasons and plenty of cursing to master that.   
Post #768252
 Posted 6/22/2012 5:56:38 PM

Last Login: 5/8/2013 11:08:23 AM
MN_Waterfowler (5/24/2012)
Same here with everyone else. I'm a master caller (placed top three on several game fair competitions, been doing it since 12). Depending on who's next to me and how good they can call, I will let them do simple quacks or feeding calls while I let out other calls. Like others said too, its a heck out a lot better to have different kinds of calls. I never understood why these pro hunters have 7 mallards calls unti I realized that each one has its purpose for the ducks on pitch and raspyness. Another good trick up the sleeve is early in the morning, that six in one call with the male mallards dreeek. Seldomly use that one but it helps with one female caller and a couple of those. You will have to try and learn from your mistakes. Its all about reading ducks, and everyone can agree it takes several seasons and plenty of cursing to master that.   

MASTER CALLER??? no duck in the wild would ever win, (or place top three in several game fairs) a competition just saying.

I am going with if someone wants to call with you let them, it does not matter I have worked flocks of 500+ with just me calling and I have had singles come in with three of four guys calling.  It depends on scouting 90%, if the duck likes what it is hearing 5%, and experience 5%.  If your on the X you don't even have to call. depends on the time of year, the pressure, your spread.  You don't have to be, nor does your buddy have to be a master caller (still chuckling) to call ducks.  If you and a buddy do single to three note calls the birds come mix it up with some drake whistle. it works. 

who ever said dogs are not funny never owned a lab

Yes I was 7GRNHDS
Post #768661
 Posted 6/23/2012 11:51:28 AM

MN, didn't know you Comp. Called!!??

Mainstreet--Pretty much like taking a Volkswagen and putting a Ferrari engine in it. Your taking everything you do in the field to a louder, longer extent.

Benefit of Comp. Calling (Mainstreet)--
Yes comp. calling, may not make you call in more ducks, but it allows you to become more proficient with your call. Which in return, will allow you to do more advanced sounds that your buddy can't do on his call.

Sometimes a Meat or Live Duck contest fits more people. 

Ben Perez
Burlington, NC
Avery Youth Field Staff
Post #768667
 Posted 6/23/2012 11:58:03 AM

I really like what Critter said. You need to feed off of the other person and sound like different birds. With goose calling, many guys go against each other. They create a "wall of sound". Also, show more/less inflection. You want to show meaning in your calling. So many people go out and have a humanistic rhythm....get each note out.
For example....use a Spit-Note as a Comeback...then tone it down. Don't just run through at the same speed, pitch, etc.

Ben Perez
Burlington, NC
Avery Youth Field Staff
Post #768668
 Posted 6/27/2012 11:18:49 AM

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:41:49 PM
I assumed MN Waterfowler was joking. On another thread he said he had never blown in a competition before.

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
Google Earth Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"
Post #768709