Ducks Unlimited Member Forums

Do... use quality shot...

Posted 9/3/2011 1:49:10 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/21/2014 9:21:50 AM
So as Hevi Metal... And if you havent tried it, then do yourself a favor and try some out...

For roughly 20 bucks a box you get 25 shells that are a mix of Hevi Shot and Premium Steel. Hevy Shot is the ULTIMATE shot hands down... But it carries a hefty price tag, and albeit warranted many whom shoot a lot every year simply cant afford it so Hevi Metal is your BEST replacement. Your pocketbook will thank you as will your grill! Steel is steel is steel, so why pay top dollar for steel that is a different shape? Color? Faster? When at the end of the day when steel lets off Hevi Shot will keep going... and going... and going.

TRY some and you won't be disappointed...
Post #760768
Add to Twitter Add to Facebook
 Posted 9/4/2011 5:46:14 PM

Last Login: 32 minutes ago
rebelcj7 (9/3/2011)
So as Hevi Metal... And if you havent tried it, then do yourself a favor and try some out...

For roughly 20 bucks a box you get 25 shells that are a mix of Hevi Shot and Premium Steel. Hevy Shot is the ULTIMATE shot hands down... But it carries a hefty price tag, and albeit warranted many whom shoot a lot every year simply cant afford it so Hevi Metal is your BEST replacement. Your pocketbook will thank you as will your grill! Steel is steel is steel, so why pay top dollar for steel that is a different shape? Color? Faster? When at the end of the day when steel lets off Hevi Shot will keep going... and going... and going.

TRY some and you won't be disappointed...

I think this has got to be the lamest advertisement I've seen yet....not to mention that my grill doesn't care about my pocketbook.

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #760789
 Posted 9/5/2011 4:36:27 AM

Last Login: 2/19/2012 2:52:24 AM
Yea... Total and complete bs. Kent shells work just fine on all birds. Any new people reading this... It is not what you are shooting, but where you are hitting. Expensive ammo does not put more birds "on the grill". It just costs more and does the same thing. Believe me, i have tried the expensive stuff, and it cripped just as many birds. Yes it has more range, but if you are hunting properly, steel has all the range you need. Ever tried recovering a bird you shot at 50 yards shooting hevi shot? I have, and i did not find it. Use the cheap stuff, and you will kill birds. Any shell will crip a bird. If you hit them well with regular steel they do not even twitch. 
Post #760794
 Posted 9/6/2011 7:08:01 PM

Last Login: 4/15/2014 12:12:02 AM
Don't shoot at em past 35 yards and you don't need this expensive stuff...

"Old school hunters used to say...if you can't land 'em on the water, you're not a duck hunter."
Little Debbie Pro-staff
"No members currently viewing this forum!"
Post #760852
 Posted 9/7/2011 10:27:14 AM

Last Login: 5/11/2012 10:22:41 AM
all i have ever bought is cheap steel and if i get birds in, they go down........ inside 35 yards that is

NOBODY EVER EAT 5O EGGS

Post #760870
 Posted 9/9/2011 5:43:21 PM

Last Login: 3/24/2012 9:13:16 PM
Yeah Kent Fasteel all the way cheap and effective
Post #760961
 Posted 9/9/2011 6:58:08 PM

Last Login: 11/27/2013 4:09:47 PM
You guys are wrong. I seem to remember there being a thread about shot shells, with members posting pictures of their shells cut open and there being crappy steel shot inside, within the past few years.....

Some cheap shells you can slice open and the steel shot looks like crap. They aren't round, or consistent size even. Lots of people just assume that there are perfect little balls inside the shells they buy. That's not always the case.

"For specific, well-documented examples of how poor some shotshells are, we can consider the findings of A. C. Jones in his 2010 book, Sporting Shotgun Performance. Dr. Jones found that the sphericity of some shot was bloody awful, with .020 in. out of round as common in some shells. Oval-shaped shot, shot that didn't roll well, shot welded together, a “Chef's Mix” of sizes and shapes is what he found. Andrew Jones described some of the shells as having many pellets that looked like Smarties candy. It doesn't take much to quickly realize that pellets of random sizes and shapes cannot possibly begin to fly the same and they don't.

No choke tube can hope to re-size or reshape our shot for us. If we want to blow stuff out of our barrels that looks like gravel, cubes, has the rings of Saturn, or looks like ink blots wildly inconsistent results are to be expected. The “normal distribution” doesn't work well when what we use shot to shot is abnormal and grossly misshapen.

Ammunition companies aren't solely to blame. We like cheap stuff, the cheapest stuff that goes bang. In order to give the consumer the cheapest product, quality control that costs time and money is naturally cast aside, due to the commodity-type pricing pressures that stress the shotshell market. Few people cut open shotshells and see what they are shooting, fewer still pattern their shotguns, so it all seems to work. Not always well, but if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense."

Post #760962
 Posted 9/9/2011 7:34:19 PM

Last Login: 11/27/2013 4:09:47 PM
Post #760963
 Posted 9/17/2011 8:21:33 AM

Last Login: 4/11/2014 11:41:30 AM
I have to agree with the thread, almost all of my shots are close and hevi-metal is great ammo, fast steel and the like are not so great.  After to many feather clouds and no birds I switched to better loads and I have seen a considerable drop in cripples.  I don't mind the extra .50 cents a shot when I have busted it out to be on the birds plus I shoot less anyway, clean shots for my sake and birds.

- He's got the nerve and he's got the blood, there's never been a dog like the spurwink stud 
Post #761160
 Posted 9/17/2011 10:19:01 AM

Last Login: 32 minutes ago
JasonBr (9/9/2011)
You guys are wrong. I seem to remember there being a thread about shot shells, with members posting pictures of their shells cut open and there being crappy steel shot inside, within the past few years.....

Some cheap shells you can slice open and the steel shot looks like crap. They aren't round, or consistent size even. Lots of people just assume that there are perfect little balls inside the shells they buy. That's not always the case.

"For specific, well-documented examples of how poor some shotshells are, we can consider the findings of A. C. Jones in his 2010 book, Sporting Shotgun Performance. Dr. Jones found that the sphericity of some shot was bloody awful, with .020 in. out of round as common in some shells. Oval-shaped shot, shot that didn't roll well, shot welded together, a “Chef's Mix” of sizes and shapes is what he found. Andrew Jones described some of the shells as having many pellets that looked like Smarties candy. It doesn't take much to quickly realize that pellets of random sizes and shapes cannot possibly begin to fly the same and they don't.No choke tube can hope to re-size or reshape our shot for us. If we want to blow stuff out of our barrels that looks like gravel, cubes, has the rings of Saturn, or looks like ink blots wildly inconsistent results are to be expected. The “normal distribution” doesn't work well when what we use shot to shot is abnormal and grossly misshapen.

Ammunition companies aren't solely to blame. We like cheap stuff, the cheapest stuff that goes bang. In order to give the consumer the cheapest product, quality control that costs time and money is naturally cast aside, due to the commodity-type pricing pressures that stress the shotshell market. Few people cut open shotshells and see what they are shooting, fewer still pattern their shotguns, so it all seems to work. Not always well, but if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense."

Not Necessarily....try cutting open a Federal Speed Shok, very round and very consistent with a nice, smooth surface on every pellet. They range from $11-$12 per box. If you can't kill with these, you'd better take up golfing instead. ;)

"When you hear my third shot.....that's your signal to take 'em."
-Phil Robertson
Post #761163